Eritrea’s Water Management Policy

The Director General of Water Resources in the Ministry of Soil, Water and Environment, Mr. Mebrahtu Eyasu, underscored that Eritrea’s water management policy is to develop and conserve the country’s water resources and ensure its efficient management and judicious use.

Asmara, 26 August 2018 -  The Director General of Water Resources in the Ministry of Soil, Water and Environment, Mr. Mebrahtu Eyasu, underscored that Eritrea’s water management policy is to develop and conserve the country’s water resources and ensure its efficient management and judicious use.

Stating that water has vital contribution in the socio-economic development of a society, Mr. Mebrahtu said that since Eritrea is located in the Sahel-Sahara region, the government of Eritrea gives due attention to the development, conservation and use of water resources in the country.

Mr. Mebrahtu explained that the amount and quality of water, scientific way of development of water resources, usage and management of water, as well as sustainable and equitable distribution of water are  the priority areas in ensuring efficient water management.

Pointing out that close to 300 dams have been constructed in various areas of the country after independence, Mr. Mebrahtu said that the amount of water harvested from dams covers only 20% of the industrial and household needs and the remaining 80% is from underground water.

He went on to say that relying on underground water is not sustainable and that the government is making an effort to construct dams and water catchment schemes to ensure the availability of water.

After independence, 1517 water projects have been implemented and that 92% of the cities and towns and 85% of villages in the country have become beneficiaries of potable water supply.